Florida A&M (0-0) at North Carolina (0-0)
Chapel Hill, NC • Saturday, Aug. 27, 2022 • 8:20 PM ET
Kenan Stadium (50,500) • ACC Network
Carolina Football Media Center
series vs. FAMU: First Meeting
Series Streak: N/A
Last Meeting: N/A
Last UNC Win: N/A
Record: 0-0 (0-0 ACC)
Head Coach: Mack Brown (Florida State, ’74)
Overall Record: 265-139-1, 34th year
Record at UNC: 90-63-1, 14th year
Record: 0-0 (0-0 SWAC)
Head Coach: Willie Simmons (Clemson, ’02)
Overall Record: 45-21, 8th year
Record at FAMU: 24-10, 5th year
Kickoff: 8:20 PM ET
ACCN: Matt Barrie, play-by-play; Tim Hasselbeck, analyst; Kelsey Riggs, sideline
Tar Heel Sports Network: Jones Angell, play-by-play; Brian Simmons, analyst; Lee Pace, sideline
Satellite Radio: Sirius (84), XM (84), Apps (84)
Website: A live radio broadcast of the Tar Heel Sports Network is available on UNC’s official athletic website, GoHeels.com, as well as through the TuneIn app.
HBCU CELEBRATION GAME
The University of North Carolina and Florida A&M University will open the 2022 football season in Chapel Hill on Saturday, Aug. 27 with events and activities planned around the weekend to celebrate historically black colleges and universities.
• HBCU coaching greats Bill Hayes and Rod Broadway will serve as Honorary Captains for North Carolina. Coach Hayes spent 27 seasons as a head coach, won two black football national championships, and is the winningest coach at both North Carolina A&T and Winston-Salem State. Coach Broadway served as head coach at North Carolina Central, Grambling State and North Carolina A&T. He posted a 125-45 career record and is the only coach to win a black football national championship at three different schools, claiming five national titles overall. Broadway also spent two seasons coaching the defensive line at North Carolina and played for the Tar Heels from 1974-77, earning All-ACC honors as a senior.
• FAMU has invited Rattler legend Rudy Hubbard to serve as its Honorary Captain. A 2021 College Football Hall of Fame inductee, Hubbard served as the head football coach at FAMU from 1974-85, compiling an 83-48-3 record. He led the Rattlers to two black college football national championships and the I-AA national title in 1978. For all of his accomplishments, Hubbard was inducted into the FAMU Hall of Fame in 1990.
TAR HEELS AND RATTLERS
North Carolina and Florida A&M will meet on the football field for the first time in the 2022 season opener on Saturday, Aug. 27 in Chapel Hill.
• The game will be the first time the Tar Heels will play on Week Zero of the college football season.
• Carolina is 5-4 all-time in games played in the month of August. The first occurrence was in 1993 when the Tar Heels knocked off USC, 31-9, in the Disneyland Pigskin Classic.
• The only game ever played previously that fell earlier on the calendar than this year’s opener was the 2001 road game with Oklahoma on Aug. 25 in Norman, Okla. The Sooners came away with a 41-27 victory.
• Carolina’s most recent game in August was Mack Brown‘s first game back as head coach of the Tar Heels in 2019. UNC took down long-time rival South Carolina, 24-20, in Charlotte, NC
SEASON OPEN SUPERLATIVES
• UNC is 84-43-4 in season-opening games, including a 37-32 mark since the ACC was formed in 1953.
• Mack Brown is 26-7 all-time in season openers, including 10-3 as UNC’s head coach.
• Carolina visits Appalachian State on Saturday, Sept. 3 on ESPU at Noon ET