AUBURN. To. – One other day in Neville had Auburn followers checking their pulses following an exhausting, but exhilarating four-set affair on Sunday.
Dealing with Texas A&M for the second time in as many days, the Tigers cranked out a 3-1 (25-21, 29-27, 24-26, 33-31) victory however it was removed from an identical. Three straight deuce units had the Orange and Blue trustworthy on the sting of their seats for over two and half hours with the Tigers lastly claiming victory in dramatic style to safe its first 20-win season in over a decade.
On Saturday, it was a junior setter Jackie Barrett orchestrating some of the balanced assaults of the season. Sunday proved no completely different within the opening set.
Freshmen madison scheer got here to the gymnasium with one thing to show. 4 kills on 10 swings set the tempo for Auburn. Akash Anderson and Chelsey Harmon every added three kills a bit to help the trouble.
And very similar to the primary match in opposition to the Aggies, a disruptive serving efficiency helped facilitate issues on the defensive finish. Each Anderson and Jordan Sinness dialed up aces as Auburn ran off to a 25-21 first-set win and the early lead.
Slowly however absolutely, the Tiger assault started to discover a rhythm that was laborious to disregard. The second body featured a complete lot of Akash Anderson and the freshman wasn’t going to apologize.
Texas A&M had no reply for the Reston, Virginia product because the right-hander put down a monstrous 9 kills on 17 assaults within the second set alone.
Auburn crept out to a four-point lead late within the set however the Aggies made a run to tie it at 22, organising what can be the primary of three unimaginable finishes to every set.
Buying and selling blow after blow, neither facet appeared to search out any separation till a Scheer kill and powerful serve from Jackie Barrett finally pressured the Aggie error to offer the Tigers the two-set benefit.
Sunday’s third set was strikingly just like the second. Anderson and Harmon every bagged three kills, Fallan Lanham, Zoe Slaughter and Barrett all collected at the very least one ace and Kendal Kemp conjured up a few big blocks.
One other late four-point lead had Auburn in attain of the victory. Nonetheless, as soon as extra Texas A&M proved they weren’t prepared to go house to Faculty Station simply but, rattling off one other run.
Because the set drifted into additional factors for a second straight event, this time Auburn could not discover the counter punch to seal the deal.
Virtually unfathomably, the 2 applications would outdo themselves within the fourth set.
Whereas each side did not win any medals for the most effective serving set of the match, the playmaking on show was nonetheless spectacular.
For the Tigers, Scheer and Anderson piled up six kills every. Anderson would end the evening with a match-high 21 whereas Scheer secured 14.
Kendal Kemp slammed house 5 kills to associate with three epic blocks within the fourth, all a part of a nine-kill eight-block efficiency for the Minnesota native.
Regardless of all this, the biggest lead of the set of both college was simply three. Actually, the fourth set featured a staggering 25 ties and 9 lead modifications.
Because the set sailed previous the 25-point mark, the joy amongst the Auburn followers was greater than palpable.
Three of the ultimate 4 factors for the Tigers featured the ruthless Orange and Blue trio that had been dominating all night in Anderson, Scheer and Kemp. With an eighth match level on the desk, a troublesome serve from Morton drew Texas A&M off the online, organising an Aggie error and handed Auburn its second win of the weekend, 3-1.
- Auburn improves to 20-5 on the season and 9-5 within the SEC. It is the primary 20-win season for the Tigers since 2010.
- The 9 convention wins are essentially the most since 2016 (9-9)
- The win additionally marks Brent Crouch‘s second 20-win marketing campaign in his teaching profession. He beforehand had 20 wins at USC in 2018.
- Auburn has now gained three straight matches over Texas A&M
- The Tigers at the moment are 8-1 at house. Auburn’s greatest season at house got here in 1996 (8-1). One of the best document within the rally-scoring period was in 2015 (11-3).
- Jackie Barrett (48 assists, 13 digs) grabbed her eighth double-double of the season
- The Tigers had 4 gamers with at the very least 10 digs. Fallan Lanham (14), Jackie Barrett (13), Zoe Slaughter (12) and Sarah Morton (11) every made it to double-digits.
- Auburn’s 62 kills and 57 have been each essentially the most in a four-set match for the Tigers this season
- Kendal Kemp now has 135 blocks on the season, seven behind the single-season document
- Fallan Lanham now has 33 aces on the season which ties for the 7th-most in a single season
Auburn travels west to Oxford, Mississippi for a Friday evening matchup with Ole Miss on Nov. 11. The Tigers shall be again house for its last SEC sequence of the common season on Nov. 25 and 26 versus Arkansas.